Sunday, February 14, 2021

Racket - A new language for me

 One of the big problems in programming is to get a good fit between the ideas in your brain, and the written code the computer knows how to deal with... if you can translate between the two effectively, you'll be a productive programmer.

Certain languages appeal to me, others "smell bad". C, C++, etc have always smelled bad to me. I love Pascal, and the simplicity of forth, basic, assembler, etc.  Python is ok.

Pascal for me, is very easy to write in.  It matches the way I think.

However, there are a set of problems that just don't match the tools that Pascal provides. This is why I learned Python a while ago.  I find myself learning Racket.  It has tools for letting you match more than one type of problem with appropriate language.

For example, you can write programs in it,  and it has a layer you can add on top for making documents. It allows you to build languages within its language.

It's my first day, but it looks very promising.

No comments: