Sunday, May 13, 2018

I'm an unreasonable man, about to prove it again.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

I am an unreasonable man... I have some ideas about how technology should work, and have a strong interest in keeping my ideals aligned with reality. There ave been times in my life when I've been told something "just can't be done" directly, or by circumstances.   I tend towards proving otherwise, sometimes I fail, sometimes I don't.

Back in the days of MS-DOS I wrote a text search algorithm that was as fast as you could read from diskette... 10x times faster than the default one.

I also was told you couldn't dual boot Unix (way before Linux) and MS-DOS... after some hacks to the boot sector, it worked.

I did multitasking, and text pipes internal to Turbo Pascal programs in DOS, because I needed it.

Back in the days of OS/2, I wrote an application in assembler, because I was told it couldn't be done.   It was a native code Forth interpreter.  Forth/2

Lately I haven't done as much... but circumstances have arisen which I find most intolerable, and must be fixed, by me.

Situation: One Windows 10 laptop, with 2 USB ports, and new brand new Blue Ice microphones... each of which does work, by itself.    Audacity can't record from both, but rather only allows one input.

I've just wasted most of my free time today trying all the usual options, none of which work.

I'm going to have to either write a multi-track recording program, or build some virtual mixer device, to solve this problem.

I'll write more once I've gotten a path figured out.  Thanks for your attention.

No comments: