Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Memepedia - organizing the worlds memes

While Google aims to organize the world's information... I've got a smaller goal... to organize the world's ideas... it's memes.

I set up Memepedia as an experiment to see what can be build to index ideas. Just as wikipedia attempts to set up an authoritative encyclopedia, I thought it should at least be possible to set up the same type of thing, but for ideas.

Wikipedia limits the discussion to facts... there are often many aspects of things related to an idea. There are proponents, opponents, criticism, and many other valuable things to be added, all of which are pretty much absent from Wikipedia.

I value the community editing aspect of Wikipedia, and I thought this might be a very good way to do things.

I've had a bit of a learning curve to get it up and running, but even so, the investment is fairly trivial. I don't expect to make any money off of this, but I would like to see the idea take off.

No comments: