Saturday, November 29, 2008

Acer Aspire One - 20 days later

I purchased this Acer Aspire One 20 days ago... and I'm still VERY happy with it. 

This computer is not the most powerful thing out there, but it's more than good enough for the tasks I tend to undertake. The price more than makes up for this.

I've shown this computer to a bunch of my fellow commuters, and the usually respond favorable when I talk about it. I explain that it's a real computer, and it has Windows XP and not the dreaded Vista... which scores points. 

If they are still interested in it, I tell them there are two very important points they need to be aware of:

  • It's small
  • It has no optical drive
It's small in every way, the screen, the weight, the keyboard and trackpad. It takes adjustment, and is a definite tradeoff.

The other big point is the fact that there's no DVD/CD drive... which makes the decision to give one of these as a gift a bit risky.  The machine does come with InterVideo WinDVD for some reason... I'm hoping I can just download my Season 4 of Dr Who and watch it... otherwise I'll find another way.

I'm sitting in a car dealership waiting for repairs... using their WiFi while connected through my machine at the office to avoid their filters... and this thing is just the right tool to check my email, read some web pages, and post this entry.

If you can live with the two points above, this might be the machine for you.

Still highly recommended.


No comments: