Monday, December 17, 2007

Michigan Avenue Panorama

Here's another of the panorama scenes I shot Friday night after our Holiday party. I've learned a few things in the process.
  • Try to plan out the entire frame before starting to shoot
  • Always be patient, and let the camera stop vibrating before shooting
  • Make sure to turn off Auto-ISO if you have a Nikon D40
  • Always take more than exposure of each frame (came in handy!)
  • Consider locking the exposure (another one didn't work because if this)
  • The fieldwork can be pretty quickly done, if you get a system going.

So, here's the output after stitching with Hugin and cropping a bit:


Michigan Avenue Panorama


As you can see, I left the "unexposed" area white. It's an artistic decision that I'm happy with at the moment. I always delete the merged TIFF file because they tend to be disk hogs, and I'm already cramped on my laptop as it is. Re-rendering isn't hard because I keep all of the .PTO files from Hugin (they are tiny - 42k in this case)

Panoramas are fun, and I'm starting to get a feel for how to do them right. Hope you enjoy them as well.

No comments: