Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Finding your voice in Web 2.0

I've gotten hits from Doc and others, which pushed my my Techorati rank, for a while... but it's becoming quite clear to me that I'm not a compulsive poster... doing something day in and day out isn't my strong suit. I do better with spur of the moment commentary and analysis.

I use sitemeter to track visits to this blog... it's obvious if you look at the bottom of the page. I've noticed that a lot of my referrers are from google searches. It appears that I've written on subjects people are interested in... and that's where my base (less than 10 visits/day average) traffic is coming from. It's random, but persistent.

I think this is actually where my voice is going to be found. I'm not going to be very good at climbing the blogging tail, but I may be more successful commenting on things I have some good ideas on, worrying far less about frequency of postings, and more about quality.

I read Doc every day... I'm sure that at least 1000 other people do as well. The rock star economics of it mean that I'm never going to be as popular in those terms unless I post often, and very consistently, and keep feeding the beast that is rank. My opinion is that Doc is a writer by trade, and he does treat it as essentially an email with CC to everyone...

I don't have that many friends to do that with... but here I am... I'm learning, and trying to find my niche. It's all that any of us can be expected to do.

Oh... I uploaded some photos of Grandma's visit this past Sunday.

Jessica and Valerie, I'm sorry I took so long to get them uploaded.

--Mike--

No comments: