Sunday, December 05, 2010

On the need for real internet connections

Most of us don't have a real internet connection, and it limits our freedom in a subtle, but increasingly important way. We are NOT free to use the internet as it was originally intended... to allow anyone to make a program on their server freely available to others. We've slowly been migrated into a "consumer" version, where we are merely free to choose from selections handed down to us by others who know what's good for us.

This makes itself firmly felt when someone wants to tell the truth, and finds themselves unable to offer them hosting because one Senator (or any other "Elite") makes a subtle threat in a phone call to Amazon. Isn't technology great, you don't have to burn books any more, you can just cut off internet connections! Goebbles would drool at the power exercised by Mr Lieberman in the past week.

Free speech is an important check on the abuse of power by those in Government and other positions of authority. It has now been shown that freedom of speech on the Internet is fundamentally non-existent for most of us.

Net neutrality is important... if you don't understand what it means, find out.

"In Germany they first came for the Communists, 
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. 

Then they came for the Jews, 
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. 

Then they came for the trade unionists, 
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. 

Then they came for the Catholics, 
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. 

Then they came for me — 
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Please don't let history repeat itself.

No comments: