- Install Windows 2008 on C: (you will trash this later, get used to wasting time)
- After successful installation, use the storage manager to change the name of the CD-ROM drive to R: and reboot (rebooting is important, don't skip it)
- Use the Registry editor in Administrator mode to rename key HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C: to D:
- Reboot, and windows will act stupid
- Start task manager to run Explorer as administrator
- Run Windows Setup from your CD, and install again (this time to D:), and do NOT upgrade
- Eventually you'll have a system installed on D:, and a Windows.old directory to nuke.
It took me about 30 hours to figure this out, I hope I save you some grief.